23 Feb 2012

Directory listing timeout with ProFTPd in Centos and Virtualmin

I'm using Virtualmin to manage a Centos 5.7 machine.
When trying to use FileZilla to access the server using ftp I kept getting the following errors:

Status: Resolving address of servername.com
Status: Connecting to IP_ADDRESS:21...
Status: Connection established, waiting for welcome message...
Response: 220 FTP Server ready.
Command: USER my_username
Response: 331 Password required for servername.com
Command: PASS *******
Response: 230 User my_username logged in
Command: OPTS UTF8 ON
Response: 200 UTF8 set to on
Status: Connected
Status: Retrieving directory listing...
Command: PWD
Response: 257 "/" is the current directory
Command: TYPE I
Response: 200 Type set to I
Command: PASV
Response: 227 Entering Passive Mode (XXX,XXX,XXX,XXX,XXX,XXX).
Command: MLSD
Error: Connection timed out
Error: Failed to retrieve directory listing



However using Nautilus, Ubuntu's file explorer, I had no problem accessing the server.

It turned out to be some modules missing in the server, needed to assure the right support for passive ftp connection.

I just add to edit /etc/sysconfig/iptables-config to make sure it was loading ip_conntrack_ftp and ip_conntrack_tftp:


IPTABLES_MODULES="ip_conntrack_netbios_ns ip_conntrack_ftp ip_conntrack_tftp"


I then restarted iptables with:

/etc/init.d/iptables restart


And now I can access my files using any FTP client (at least it works with FileZilla :) )


9 comments:

Anonymous said...

Thanks, was having the same issue, and it worked for me.

dflorence said...

Thank you. I rebuilt the server 3 times before i found this resolution!

Anonymous said...

Thanks for the help solved my exact issue

Anonymous said...

Thank, this worked fine for me also ;)

Anonymous said...

You solved the last piece of the puzzle I had with CentOS 6.4 & Plesk 11.5. FileZilla will not work with proftpd & TLS without this modification. Great job!

Anonymous said...

Worke like a charm on CentOC 6.4 with Plesk usig FileZilla in FTPS mode

Anonymous said...

Great, thanks a lot !!!


worked for me

Anonymous said...

Worked like a charm Thanks!

Anonymous said...

Man oh Man, talking about banging my head against the wall.
Thank you !!!
CentOs 6.4 and Virtualmin